Friday, September 15, 2006

a purchase report

So today was one of the most expensive days of my life - I really think I should just go to work on my days off.

It began at 9:30 when I met with a friend who works at a bank as a home lender. There's a townhouse I'm interested in, and I wanted to talk about my financing options. I think that set the "very flush" feeling for the rest of the day. (didn't buy the townhouse... yet)

After the bank, I picked up Kim (sister-in-law) and we test drove cars. I've been tentatively looking at VW Passats, and today I found the exact combo of features I'm been wanting. (didn't buy the car... yet)

After the car adventure, we went to the mall. Old Navy had the fall stuff (I love sweaters), so I picked out a big pile and Kim was an angel of endurance while I tried on a wardrobe worth of stuff. (bought the gray sweater I loved and a couple of shirts, three pink ones - pink is the new color I'm brave enough to wear - Kim's influence)

Then we went to the new watch/clock store in the mall and a picked out a watch that I absolutely love. My old favorite watch has been lost for about 4 months (since the week I got the band fixed while visiting Jeni), and I've been using mom's ever since. The new watch, it made me happy just to look at it. (bought the watch)

Then we passed the cell-phone kiosk. I 've had the same cell phone for going on 6 years and a phone number from the wrong state. I can't have a phone with a camera, so there's a very limited number of new phones to choose from. The kiosk in the mall had one that wasn't totally asymmetrical (it wasn't cool looking, which I think was the goal) and didn't have a huge speaker as the primary characteristic. The mall phone was the third non-camera phone I found, and it was by far the best. (bought the phone and bought a sandwhich while waiting for the phone guy to get it all set-up)

Then I took Kim home and went back to the car place. I test drove the dream car to the house to show Dad and Mom, then went back and made an offer. It was a low-ball offer, but they accepted it, so I finished the day by signing about a million and a half pieces of paper. (bought the car)

It was a blast of day, but I think between shopping and sickness I really should just stay at work. Though that still townhouse might be worth taking a day off for - 'course then I'll have to not take days off, not keep me from getting sick or spending money, but so that I can make payments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang, you are really moving ahead! Congrats on the new car; I still remember the feeling I had the day I drove mine off the lot with 10 miles on the odometer. Careful about the townhouse; I wouldn't buy it if it will put you barely making the payment. Too many things can happen. Better to wait and build up a nice down payment so you can afford it easily. (This is coming from someone who is still living in military housing because 1, we don't know where we are going to land after our hoped for overseas tour, and 2, because we want to have a traditional mortagage with a 20% down payment because it's the best way to go.)

And, hey, make sure you call me with your new phone number!