Sunday, September 30, 2007

Crazy idea

Turns out running was not the cause of my balances being thrown off - it was the kindness of a stray bacteria, probably E.coli, that is not to be recommended. I'm feeling much better, and have now discovered the virtue of taking a sick day from work (a previously unknown possibility to my workaholic soul).

I'm having crazy and mixed up thoughts recently and one of them centers around running a marathon. Whenever I mention it, my mom brings up the word "moderation" (as in I might want to find some), but I think I'm going to continue to be my rebellious self and at least give it a try. A few weeks ago I ran my first race - a 10K. The plan was a 5K, but in my non-moderate zeal I overshot my training and decided to make my goal a challenge. My goal was to run the race without taking a walk break, and I made it. Time was not a factor in my goal, but in honor of blogging runners everywhere, I feel like I should share it anyway: 1:05:49 for 6.2 miles. Is that good? I'm not sure. Here's a picture of me at the finish line after the race:


I always wanted to be a runner, but never figured I could do it. Then while watching Jeni doing so well with all her athleticism achievement, I realized that it was a self-fulling prophesy: I couldn't do it if I didn't try. So I bought a couple of new songs for my mp3 player and got up early one Saturday morning to run a course that conveniently went around the neighborhood in which I grew up. The playlist while you run is also (apparently) important to blog about, so here's what I listened to (in no particular order) as I did what I previously thought I couldn't do:

  • 1985 by Bowling for Soup (the lyrics make me laugh and give me motivation to live for now but enjoy memories of the past)
  • What's Up by 4 Non Blondes (makes me feel empowered and brings back memories of dancing in the dorm room freshman year)
  • Crazy on You by Heart (I love the guitar intro, listened to this song twice so the intro was playing when I crossed the finish line)
  • Boston by Augustana (makes me feel like doing something - plus, maybe if I ever move to Boston, I'll get a lover and fly them out to stay)
  • 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover by Paul Simon (brings back a memory of listening to records in Mrs. Seydel's basement and orchestra trips with Jeni and Em)
  • Rockstar by Nickelback (love the voice in the background - and who wouldn't want to be better than Elvis if you can skip the tassels?)
  • Black Horse and the Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall (great beat for a running song)
  • Crystal by Fleetwood Mac (memories of Tim)
  • Barracuda by Heart (another one with good beat - plus listening to Heart makes me think of Margaret and daddy)
  • What a Beautiful Day by Chris Cagle (brings a mental picture of Kim singing her heart out at an free outdoor concert this past summer - who knew there were so many days in 50 years, I like the idea of cherishing each day so much that he counts them)
  • Unwell by Matchbox 20 (I love the part where he talks about talking to himself on the bus, or was it a train? - on the other hand, this is the only song I skipped past during the race)
  • The Winner Takes It All by ABBA (more freshman memories - Jen can you tell you motivate my running? - and memories of the day I drove to Seattle for the first time - Jen you were there too, remember? - plus I also like the beat)
  • Suddenly I See by KT Tunstall (makes me want to be like girl on Devil Wears Prada, what can I say, I'm a sucker for lacy underwear and skinny legs)
With my victory I have gotten myself two prizes: a new pair of Asics running shoes (first run on them felt great - happened just today and prompted this post) and a name-brand ipod! They both make me so happy, they're worth running for, and they have the added benefit of making me want to run more. (The day I got the ipod, I went for a very slow plod around the soccer field, even though I'd been sick in bed for two days!) Though I still feel crazy to think I can do this, I've increased mileage twice since the race and the past week went a full 12 miles in a single run. It only took me 2 hours and 45 minutes - quite a ways from my July goal of running at least 4 miles in a week! My higher math skills tell me that at that rate (which included fairly significant walk breaks), I could still finish a marathon before the 7.5 hour mark when they take down the finish line at the marathon. It'll be awhile before I can attempt my goal of no walk breaks on that sort of distance, but who know, by January I may be ready to try it on the big 26.2. It's easier to contemplate running that far than trying to figure out if I should move across the country (another source of crazy thoughts that, if they continue, I'm sure will be the subject of future posts).

Have a great night!

PS- Thank you Jeni! For everything you are!!

2 comments:

j said...

oh wow! things move fast in sarah world! :) what's this move across the country thing?! aaaagggghhh!!!
i think a marathon is an awesome idea- i warn you: running is addictive and an emotional roller coaster- but really, what isn't? i am impressed that your mileage has increased to 12!!! be careful not to get injured! holy cow! you are well on your way to marathon-dom. is there a half somewhere you can do? that'd be fun.
let me know what you decide for your marathon- i hope not to be running so much, but for you...i may be able to try a little longer. :) plus, it gives me an opportunity to get out of pullman. however, i'm pretty sure you'll beat me badly in a marathon- you are moving already!!!
i love the playlist- that brought back memories i hadn't thought of in awhile!!! i have to get some of those songs!

Sarah said...

you are crazy and I love you.