Monday, January 01, 2007

Resolutions

This is the last day of vacation before I get to go back to work, and I've decided (by not deciding) that it is and will be a completely lazy day. To try to salvage one moment of productivity, I'm recording some of my resolutions here, so that hopefully I will be more likely to stick to them. (Isn't there some psychological name for that Jeni? not reinforcers, but something like that...) Anyway, as Ellen DeGeneres told me in Parade magazine yesterday, not all resolutions need to be things I'm not already doing, so some of these things I already do, but I now resolve to continue.

health stuff
  • do something active at least once a week (new found passion is racquetball, but I would really like to take up running - I'm hoping that Jen's running-listening thing will help me, but I first have to find the impetus to download itunes so I can buy it)
  • get better at racquetball
  • try running consistently
  • increase weight (as in the stuff you lift) at least twice during the year
  • do yoga at home at least a few (i.e. 3) times a week
  • get back to my high school weight-range (I was there are recently as last spring, but it feels so far off)
  • drink more water
church stuff
  • attend the temple at least once a month
  • pray at least twice a day
  • read the scriptures at least one chapter per day
  • attend institute (no quantity needed on this on because it's something where anything will be more than I've been doing now, even though I'm technically on the institute committee)
social stuff
  • be more social - actually make an effort to find more things to go out and do, then actually go out
  • be more optimistic about people in this town
  • think more nicely of people I meet (especially at church/institute)
miscellaneous stuff
  • save money
  • read more
  • read the magazines I get
  • register/apply for school

and that is all I have for now. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Ideas?

3 comments:

j said...

I think these are fantastic. The term you are looking for escapes me...but yes, if you tell anyone you have made a public commitment and people are more likely to hold you to it! :)
Speaking of running...I had this thought today. I'm wavering back and forth about running a half-marathon again (not quite ready for 26.2). Shane is running the Pocatello Marathon in Sept. (the 1st?). If you start running, we could do our training long-distance like...and run it together (although you will no doubt be much faster than me!). Just a thought...cause I can't train for this puppy alone again.
I haven't got my goals all set yet... I like yours. Maybe I can steal some? Happy New Years!

j said...

OH! And I saw that DeGeneres thing, too. It was funny!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I should start running again. Wesley is two years old and I really haven't run since I hit the third trimester. If I'm ever going to lose these last 5 pounds, I'm going to need to do more than I'm doing now. But, that's me! Sounds like some good goals, and way more than my lazy self is willing to write up, hehe. So, I will call you an inspiration to me. My only real goal right now is to force myself to get up with Alex instead of Wesley, who likes to sleep in. Yes, kind of sad, isn't it.